Rig Exploit Kit via the EiTest delivers CryptFile2 ransomware
- Today I captured traffic from the Rig Exploit Kit (EK) which delivered CryptFile2 ransomware via the EITEST campaign.
- Files on the infected host were encrypted and the file extensions were changed to @dr.com_.rmd .
- The Rig exploit kit is making use of DNS Shadowing as explained in a sucuri.net blog post Website Malware – Evolution of Pseudo Darkleech.
I have added a zipped pcap file for your analysis. The password for the zipped pcap is infected all lowercase.
PCAP file of the infection traffic:
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS AND IP ADDRESSES:
- www.unieboekspectrum.nl – COMPROMISED SITE
- 18.104.22.168 – red.clickonlaramietoyota.com – RIG EK LANDING PAGE
- 22.214.171.124 – GET /cheks_cmicrosoft.html – CryptFile2 POST INFECT TRAFFIC
- 126.96.36.199 – POST /msversion/get_microsoft_version.php – CryptFile2 POST INFECT TRAFFIC
ASSOCIATED EMAILS FOR RANSOM PAYMENT:
IMAGES AND DETAILS OF INFECTION CHAIN:
Shown above: Injected script found on index page of compromised site associated with the EiTest campaign which redirects visitors to the Rig EK landing page – Web page source code can be found by right clicking on web page and selecting “View source”
MALICIOUS PAYLOAD ASSOCIATED WITH RIG EXPLOIT: