Rig Exploit Kit via EITEST delivers Crypt2 ransomware C2 18.104.22.168
- Today I captured traffic from the Rig Exploit Kit (EK) which delivered Crypt2 ransomware via the EITEST campaign.
- The EiTest campaign was last seen delivering Crypt2 ransomware on October 5th, 2016 before switching to Cerber ransomware.
- Once again thanks to @CyberScimitar for finding and sharing compromised site.
I have added a zipped pcap file for your analysis. The password for the zipped pcap is infected all lowercase.
PCAP file of the infection traffic:
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS AND IP ADDRESSES:
- www.thescarefactor.com – COMPROMISED SITE
- 22.214.171.124 – add.francafranca.com – RIG EK LANDING PAGE
- 126.96.36.199 – GET /index.jpg – CRYPT2 COMMAND and CONTROL
- 188.8.131.52 – POST /u/affer.php – CRYPT2 COMMAND and CONTROL
ASSOCIATED EMAILS FOR RANSOM PAYMENT:
IMAGES AND DETAILS OF ORIGINAL INFECTION CHAIN:
Shown above: Injected script found on index page of compromised site which redirects visitor to the Rig EK landing page to start infection chain – Web page source code can be found by right clicking on web page and selecting “View source”
MALICIOUS PAYLOAD ASSOCIATED WITH RIG EXPLOIT: