Rig Exploit Kit via EiTest delivers malicious payload from 22.214.171.124
- Today I captured traffic from the Rig Exploit Kit (EK) which delivered a malicious payload via the EITEST campaign.
- Snort, using the Emerging Threats open ruleset generated alerts for likely Shylock/URLzone/Gootkit/Zeus Panda C2.
- Thanks to Baber for sharing information on compromised site.
I have added a zipped pcap file for your analysis. The password for the zipped pcap is infected all lowercase.
PCAP file of the infection traffic:
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS AND IP ADDRESSES:
- www.rmmagazine.com – COMPROMISED SITE
- 126.96.36.199 – a7wsdn.xnxbtb.top – RIG EK LANDING PAGE
- 188.8.131.52 Port 443 – greatmusichits.online – POST INFECTION TRAFFIC
IMAGES AND DETAILS OF INFECTION CHAIN:
Shown above: Injected script found on index page of compromised site which redirects visitor to the Rig EK landing page to start infection chain – Web page source code can be found by right clicking on web page and selecting “View source”
Shown above: Snort alerts generated by the Emerging Threats open ruleset
MALICIOUS PAYLOAD ASSOCIATED WITH RIG EXPLOIT: