Neutrino Exploit Kit via EITEST 18.104.22.168 delivers CrypMic Ransomware
- Today I captured traffic from the latest version of CrypMic ransomware. The ransomware was delivered via the EITEST campaign.
- I first saw the EITEST campaign sending CrypMic Ransomware on July 28th, 2016.
- Some background on the EITEST campaign can be found in a Palo Alto Networks blog post How the EITest Campaign’s Path to Angler EK Evolved Over Time.
- CrypMic continues to send its ransom notes over SSL port 443 in clear text.
- [UPDATE] CrypMic is no longer using vssadmin.exe to delete the Windows shadow copy. I first noticed this yesterday with another CrypMic infection via the pseudoDarkleech campaign.
- [UPDATE] The latest version of CrypMic can be downloaded from hybrid-analysis.com
- [UPDATE] For a great analysis and the reversing of the Neutrino Exploit Kit, visit
@Ledtech3 blog post Pulling apart Neutrino EK
I have added a zipped pcap file for your analysis. The password is the usual used by malware researchers. If you do not know it please email me.
PCAP file of the infection traffic:
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS AND IP ADDRESSES:
- 22.214.171.124 – osavity.top – EITEST GATE
- 126.96.36.199 – tulivyosikia.baexpert.org – Neutrino EK LANDING PAGE
- 188.8.131.52 Port 443 – C2 Check-In – POST INFECTION TRAFFIC
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS FOR RANSOM PAYMENT:
IMAGES AND DETAILS OF INFECTION CHAIN:
Shown above: Injected script found on index page of compromised site which redirects visitor to the EITEST gate to start infection chain – Web page source code can be found by right clicking on web page and selecting “View source”
Shown above: CrypMic is no longer using vssadmin.exe to delete Windows shadow copy as shown in hybrid-analysis.com analysis of the malicious DLL file.
MALICIOUS PAYLOAD ASSOCIATED WITH NEUTRINO EXPLOIT: