Neutrino Exploit Kit via pseudoDarkleech delivers CrypMic Ransomware
- Today I captured traffic from the latest version of CrypMic ransomware. The ransomware was delivered via the pseudoDarkleech campaign.
- The injection method was an Iframe, as mentioned in a post on SANS Internet Storm Center forum Change in patterns for the pseudoDarkleech campaign.
- The pseudoDarkleech campaign is making use of DNS Shadowing as explained in a sucuri.net blog post Website Malware – Evolution of Pseudo Darkleech.
- CrypMic continues to send its ransom notes over SSL port 443 in clear text.
I have added a zipped pcap file for your analysis. The password is the usual used by malware researchers. If you do not know it please email me.
PCAP file of the infection traffic:
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS AND IP ADDRESSES:
- 188.8.131.52 – walbornvertakkings.traceyconcrete.co.uk – Neutrino EK
- 184.108.40.206 – PORT 443 – C2 Check-In – POST INFECTION TRAFFIC
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS FOR RANSOM PAYMENT:
IMAGES AND DETAILS OF INFECTION CHAIN:
Shown above: Suspicious script found on compromised site. A similar script was found on another compromised site on August 2nd, 2016 [HERE]
MALICIOUS PAYLOAD ASSOCIATED WITH NEUTRINO EXPLOIT: